Saturday, December 26, 2015

I have been pitsmacked!

I have been interested in making my own holistic skincare and household products for a while now and I finally did it!  My first experiment?  Deodorant!  We often don't give our dark, hidden pits much thought but they need care too :-).  I like clean, shaved and yummy smelling arm pits! Lol.
So this time I made a cream deodorant that is applied with your fingers... takes getting used to but it works quite well.  I find I need to apply twice per day which isn't abnormal for all natural deodorant.   Deodorant is meant to keep you smelling fresh not for keeping you from sweating as that is how your body gets rid of toxins.... Some natural ingredients can help to regulate sweating at best.  Antiperspirants are not healthy and the chemicals are absorbed into the blood stream through the skin... I recommend people research for themselves why antiperspirants are not good for you.
Here is the recipe for this deodorant and I estimated it costed maybe $2 for about a months worth. This one uses coconut oil which is glorious for our skin.

1/4 cup of organic coconut oil
1/4 cup of arrowroot powder
1/4 cup of baking soda
4 drops of do terra wild orange essential oil (optional)

Mix powders together
Mix in the coconut oil and work it into the mixture with a spoon... Can take up to 10 minutes
Spoon it into a small mason jar or small container - if it's too warm the coconut oil will melt and can be refrigerated

This is just a recipe I found online and there are many different ones to try.  This one has a strong coconut scent that overpowers the wild orange oil.  It works quite well in this cooler weather but I would have to test it in the summertime 😜.  This is not a sensitive skin recipe... Tingles a bit and I suspect it is the baking soda.  I will try tweaking the recipe and probably other formulations too.  All in all I am impressed :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment